To the grave and back: Practical performance tuning and benchmarking
Room Number:BLACKMESH ROOM
Date & Time:November 18, 2011 - 12:00pm
Performance problems in Drupal are like cancer. Its best to prevent them by following best practices and regular testing. In this session we’ll simulate a nightmare: A poorly optimized site that’s being brought down by traffic spikes.
We’ll begin by purposefully taking down a real site. During this time we’ll cover:
- The basics of server monitoring - what you never want to see in process lists.
- How to resurrect a dead site.
- Some quick stop-gap fixes to use in emergencies.
We’ll then do a post-mortem of the site’s death. You’ll learn:
- How to parse slow query logs.
- How XHProf reveals the worst offenders to you site’s performance.
- Basic techniques for fixing bottle necks.
- How to easily benchmark your codebase.
- The most common performance problems you’re likely to see in the real world.